Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO), the Communications Manager will lead our multi-channel communications efforts including implementation and evaluation, national and regional media coverage, events publicity, company/product launches and reports/publications.
- Plan and manage the daily functions, operations and activities for communications and public relations
- Ensure all communications including website, public relations and collateral, reflect brand identity and support strategic initiatives
- Manage communications associate and interns
- Cultivate and build relationships with members of the media, serve as a primary point of contact for media
- Execute various media relations activities including: writing, editing and distributing releases, story pitching, responding to media inquiries, tracking, contact list management, etc.
- Write, edit and proofread outbound communications including promotional materials, website content, press releases, annual report, etc.
- Develop processes to enhance organizational efficiency and effectiveness around communications
- Work with the various departments on their communications’ needs
- Provide additional support to the CAO as needed, in areas such as special projects, event planning, etc.
- At least 5-7 years work experience with two years of supervisory experience in public and media relations and/or communications
- Proven ability to manage and implement PR/multi-channel communications strategic plans
- Ability to understand programmatic work and create and implement communication plans that will promote organizational priorities
- Proven track record working with new and traditional media, with the ability to determine the best media type to achieve goals
- Highly collaborative style; ability to thrive on a shared services team, meeting needs of multiple constituencies
- Proven communicator; excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management / organizational abilities
- Ability to operate with discretion, competence and independence
- Ability to influence with limited authority
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize work
- Ability to manage a small team, serving as a leader and mentor
- Relationships with media contacts and ability to expand the range of outlets covering k-12 education preferred
- Knowledgeable about and experience in education reform
- Fun, energetic, scrappy and creative
- Bachelor's degree; master’s degree preferred
A competitive compensation package including base salary, opportunity for performance bonus, and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer.