Nationally recognized venture philanthropy firm seeks an Associate Partner for a newly-launched fund creating the next generation of teacher preparation programs.
NewSchools is a not-for-profit venture philanthropy firm which funds and supports entrepreneurial organizations that dramatically improve public education for under-served students. Currently, NewSchools is actively investing nationally in teacher training and education technology, as well as locally through city-based funds in Washington, DC, Boston, Newark, and Oakland, where NewSchools is headquartered.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
• Assist with strategy development: Refine the Fund’s investment plan based on progress to date, investor feedback, and community of practice dynamics to maximize performance and impact. Coordinate formal evaluation of Fund’s performance.
• Collaborate on diligence: Source, evaluate, and recommend grants, contracts, loans, or mission-related equity investments, in a way that is consistent with NewSchools standards for diligence.
• Support ventures: Provide ongoing support to ventures, by providing resources, connections, and advice.
• Support fundraising efforts: Collaborate with NewSchools Development team to maintain productive relationships with Fund’s donors. Prepare grant proposals and reports, plan for funder meetings.
• Assist in the management and development of the NewSchools network and events: Meet with other leaders in the field to advance the goals of the Fund.
• Provide guidance: Assist and offer developmental support to NewSchools’ analysts, as required.
• Collaborate with broader NewSchools team: Inform NewSchools team and Board about LTT Fund progress; research, develop, refine and coordinate with other Funds to share lessons learned, support the broader portfolio, and ensure strategic alignment. Actively participate in team meetings and events.
Skills and Qualifications
Project Management Experience
• Experience in human capital or talent development; interest in teacher preparation specifically and entrepreneurial approaches in public education a plus.
• Strategic, project management skills, attention to detail and ability to drive toward completion; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and deliver high-quality work on time and on budget, with excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills in order to understand, breakdown and address complex problems; proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis is a plus.
• Proven ability to develop presentations and present analyses.
• A preference for knowledge of public education history and trends.
• Demonstrated commitment to equity and access for public school students.
• Creative and proactive about identifying opportunities and solving problems.
• Ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with a wide variety of stakeholders, built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals.
• Willingness to be self-directed, take initiative and own high priority tasks and projects.
• Personal presence and communications skills necessary to effectively interact with external stakeholders.
• Management and operating style suited to working in a small-office setting and limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued.
Education and Experience
• Minimum 5+ years’ experience with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
• Teaching or entrepreneurial experience or experience in consulting, investment banking, venture capital or private equity highly valued.
• Graduate degree in management, education, and/or public policy preferred
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please indicate how you heard of this opportunity.
Thanks for your interest and best of luck!